Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sheila Hicks

Sheila Hicks has been creating art through textiles for over 50 years....

"Today we are globally and cosmically interwoven." ~ Sheila Hicks

a recent interview with her via Hand/Eye
"What invigorates you as an artist?
My work is based on emotional responses to visual impressions or to the need to express an idea – to give it form. Color, texture, concept, scale, and structure are inextricably linked. When artists achieve this in their work I think they develop personal and original voices – sometimes with perfect pitch. Oddities (sometimes perceived as mistakes) fascinate me. Deviations from the norm, and reparations, inevitably catch my attention and provoke admiration for the ingenuity of the artist-artisan. I worship intelligent hands.
Poetry keeps me calmly sane."





No comments: