Sunday, October 26, 2008

meditations on the beautiful imperfect repeated cycles of life

This past Saturday evening I was fortunate enough to go see the dance performance 'Steve Reich Evening' at the Brooklyn Museum of Art http://www.bam.org/view.aspx?pid=115). It was choreographed by Anne Teresa Keersmaeker to the music of Steve Reich.
There is a part of me that does not want to even attempt to put words to this incredible performance for I know there is no way I could possibly do it justice. But in a vain attempt I will say the performance dealt with the repetition of sounds, movements, and objects. It was a meditation on the patterns of the imperfections inherit in life as well as the simplicity and power of the cyclical.
Overall, a beautiful and overwhelming experience encompassing stunningly beautiful sounds, movements, lighting, and messages. An example to me of finely tuned forms of impeccable art coming together and making vast statements while remaining sensually appealing. Both a heaviness in the strength of it all as well as a lightness as the dancers floated, glided, and elevated energetically across the stage.
Below are some images from the performance (which I did not take, it should be noted):


1 comment:

Nancy said...

heavenly! the arts is what makes this world go 'round.